Our Training Program
McDowall Integrative Psychology & Healthcare is a training centre for Masters and Doctorate practicum and internship students. We offer practicums for students who are want to fulfil their degree requirements for a Master in Counselling Psychology, Master in Clinical Psychology or a Master in Education in Counselling Psychology. etc. We offer supervision by seasoned Registered Psychotherapists therefore your hours can be counted towards the College of Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) registration. We also offer a doctorate level internship and supervision for individuals pursuing master level certification and those requiring supervised practice for the registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO).
Training Philosophy and Goals
Our training centre is committed to providing a comprehensive practicum or internship experience that will ensure that our student a well-equipped to provide optimal care and services to their clients. The primary goal of our training program is to prepare therapists-in-training to become ethical, independent, compassionate, and clinically competent therapists through individualized training with exposure to various types of clients and services.
Expectations of Candidates
Our Ideal Candidate
- Our ideal candidate has a passion for helping people and enjoys working with a diverse population
- Our ideal candidate would enjoy working as a part of a team and in a collegial atmosphere
- Our ideal candidate is someone who takes initiative and has a strong sense of integrity and professionalism
- Our ideal candidate has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Our ideal candidate would have a strong interest in learning about a private practice setting e.g. intake and admin
- Our ideal candidate would have an interest in learning about psychological assessments (i.e. MVA assessments, etc.)
- Our ideal candidate has a strong commitment and desire to learn as much as possible during their placement.
- Candidates will be provided with individual supervision on a weekly or bi-weekly with Dr. McDowall and/or Clinical Supervisor registered with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).
- Candidates will meet twice per month for two hours for intern group supervision with a Registered Psychotherapist who is registered with the CRPO
- Candidates will meet for three hours once a month (not July and August) for group supervision with Dr. McDowall, the Clinical Supervisor, who is registered with the CRPO, and the McDowall team
- Please note the above may be adjusted depending on different program requirements
- Candidates are expected to have 50% of their core courses (including ethics) completed before the start of their placement
- Candidates must be committed to a minimum of 600-hour placement, with at least 200 hours allocated to direct client contact
- Candidates must be committed to participating in placement for 8-months
- Candidates will be required to have liability insurance and a clear police check
- Candidates must be willing to travel to 2 or 3 of our practice locations in the Greater Toronto Area
- Candidates must be available to work evenings and/or weekends based on the needs of the clients
- Candidates will be required to provide a cover letter with placement interests and goals and a curriculum vitae (CV)
- Candidates will be required to provide official graduate transcripts
- Candidates will be required to provide two letters of references
- Candidates must provide a letter from your academic program’s director of training indicating that all the core program requirements have been completed and the application for a practicum or internship is supported
- Please email your applications to:
Positions Available Each Term
M.A. or M. Ed. Students
(2 positions available)
Ph.D., Psy.D or Ed.D. Students
(2 positions available)
Doctorate Level Internship and/or Supervised Practice Position
(1 position available)
January to August
Deadline: August 1st
May to December
Deadline: January 1st
September to April
Deadline: April 1st
Our training placement includes
Direct Patient Contact
Patient Intake Process
Interested in a training placement with us?
Transform Your Health Today!
Join our mailing list and stay up-to-date on the latest news, articles and services.