Our Training Program
McDowall Integrative Psychology & Healthcare is a training centre for Masters and Doctorate practicum and internship students. We offer practicums for students who are want to fulfil their degree requirements for a Master in Counselling Psychology, Master in Clinical Psychology or a Master in Education in Counselling Psychology. etc. We offer supervision by seasoned Registered Psychotherapists therefore your hours can be counted towards the College of Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) registration. We also offer a doctorate level internship and supervision for individuals pursuing master level certification and those requiring supervised practice for the registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO).
Training Philosophy and Goals
Our training centre is committed to providing a comprehensive practicum or internship experience that will ensure that our student a well-equipped to provide optimal care and services to their clients. The primary goal of our training program is to prepare therapists-in-training to become ethical, independent, compassionate, and clinically competent therapists through individualized training with exposure to various types of clients and services.
Expectations of Candidates
- Our ideal candidate has a passion for helping people and enjoys working with a diverse population
- Our ideal candidate would enjoy working as a part of a team and in a collegial atmosphere
- Our ideal candidate is someone who takes initiative and has a strong sense of integrity and professionalism
- Our ideal candidate has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Our ideal candidate would have a strong interest in learning about a private practice setting e.g. intake and admin
- Our ideal candidate would have an interest in learning about psychological assessments (i.e. MVA assessments, etc.)
- Our ideal candidate has a strong commitment and desire to learn as much as possible during their placement.
- Candidates are expected to have 50% of their core courses (including ethics) completed before the start of their placement
- Candidates must be committed to a minimum of 600-hour placement, with at least 200 hours allocated to direct client contact
- Candidates must be committed to participating in placement for 8-months
Candidates will be required to have liability insurance and a clear police check
- Candidates must be willing to travel to 2 or 3 of our practice locations in the Greater Toronto Area
- Candidates must be available to work evenings and/or weekends based on the needs of the clients
- Candidates will be provided with individual supervision on a weekly or bi-weekly with Dr. McDowall and/or Clinical Supervisor registered with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).
- Candidates will meet twice per month for two hours for intern group supervision with a Registered Psychotherapist who is registered with the CRPO
- Candidates will meet for three hours once a month (not July and August) for group supervision with Dr. McDowall, the Clinical Supervisor, who is registered with the CRPO, and the McDowall team
- Please note the above may be adjusted depending on different program requirements
- Candidates will be required to provide a cover letter with placement interests and goals and a curriculum vitae (CV)
- Candidates will be required to provide official graduate transcripts
- Candidates will be required to provide two letters of references
- Candidates must provide a letter from your academic program’s director of training indicating that all the core program requirements have been completed and the application for a practicum or internship is supported
- Please email your applications to:
We are interested in committed and serious-minded individuals only.
If you are serious about having a comprehensive placement experience, we invite you to apply.
Positions Available Each Term
M.A. or M. Ed. Students
(2 positions available)
Ph.D., Psy.D or Ed.D. Students
(2 positions available)
Doctorate Level Internship and/or Supervised Practice Position
(1 position available)
Interested in a training placement with us?
Join our growing team of students & interns!
Learn More About Us
Join Our Community
Get our monthly newsletter for updates, new services and mind-body health advice.